Take a look at this short video – A Brief History of the Internet.
This film explains the origins of the internet and how it has evolved over the last 60 years.
Here are some statements about the internet and questions for you to think about.
You can jot down some ideas that you have. Remember that there are no wrong answers.
1. The internet is a global network of devices which work together to share information and provide services to people worldwide.
Can you think of 3 ways you can use the internet with someone in a different country?
2. The Internet belongs to everyone and no one.
Imagine the internet as a system that is always growing as people add new information on it.
3. The internet is constantly evolving and changing as it is used for many different functions.
Can you think of 3 very different things that you use the internet for, for example, shopping, online dating, research, news.
4. When did you first use the Internet?
The internet came into being in the 1960’s, but only really became useable by the general public in the late 1990’s.
Have a look at this infographic wheel describing What Happens Every Minute on the Internet.
Click on the audio below to listen to Leah describe some of this activity.
This will give you an idea of the massive variety of activity that is always happening on the internet.
Take a look at the exercise below.
Drag and drop the answers to learn more about internet usage worldwide.
Here are some words you will hear used when discussing the Internet:
Visit these two sites to help you find out the meanings of these terms – just click on the links below:
1. TechTerms – The Computer Dictionary: https://techterms.com/
2. Lifewire – article – Top 20 Internet Terms for Beginners: https://www.lifewire.com/top-internet-terms-for-beginners-2483381