The aftermath – deaths, cost of fire:
When the firemen were putting out the fire, people filled their hats, boots and any other container with whiskey, which was contaminated with manure and sewage. What started out as panic had turned into a party. For example two young 21 year olds from Bow Street in Dublin’s north inner city went over to have a look at the fire. They saw the whiskey flowing down through the Coombe and helped themselves to some of it. Actually they helped themselves to a great deal of it! One of the lads fell into a coma and died a couple of days later in the Richmond Hospital. He died of alcohol poisoning. Thirteen people died in the fire as a result of alcohol poisoning, no one died from the actual fire!
There was £150,000 (€8 million in today’s value) worth of damage caused by the fire. Not everybody was covered by insurance, especially the people living in the tenements. They were left homeless after the fire. Even Mr. Malone, who owned one of the warehouses and who was insured, had not enough insurance to cover his losses.
The newspapers reported it as the biggest fire of the 19th century in Dublin.